Diseases resulting from degenerative changes in the nervous system markedly impact the lives of millions and pose growing public health challenges. The prevention and treatment of these neurodegenerative disorders represents critical goals of medical research today and is the mission of the NeuroGen Brain and Spine Institute.
At NeuroGen Brain and Spine Institute we provide a ray of hope to people who have none and thereby increase the quality of life. NeuroGen Brain and Spine Institute is an institution which not just wants to give treatment to the patients but also take into consideration the overall well being of the patient.
NeuroGen Brain & Spine Institute has been set up to help patients with incurable neurological disorders such as Autism, Muscular Dystrophy, Cerebral palsy, spinal cord injury, stroke, etc. We use a multidisciplinary approach to relieve the symptoms and improve quality of life of such patients
Our approach consists of using a combination of
1. Stem Cell Therapy,
3. Other Medical and surgical treatments
We use adult stem cells derived from the patient's own bone marrow, as they are the safest and most feasible type of cells. There are no major ethical and moral issues involved in the use of these cells. Since every patient is different, our treatment protocol is customized according to the patient's requirement.
Till date, more than 2000 patients have been treated at NeuroGen Brain & Spine Institute and currently, 32 papers have been published by our team in medical journals. We have 7 chapters in International textbooks and our team has also published over 6 books.
- We at NeuroGen Brain and Spine Institute aim at providing an overall well being of patients
- We not only just initiate the therapy but also provide Rehabilitation Therapy
- To support stem cell research and regenerative medicine under the highest ethical and medical standards for the discovery and development of cures, therapies, diagnostics and research technologies to relieve human suffering from chronic disease and injury
- Provide Global Rehabilitation and Counseling facilities for patients with neurodegenerative disease
- Be globally recognized as an ethical best-in-class Biotechnology Centre of Excellence
- To attract and retain leading scientists, students and management expertise to build the capability and sustainability of the Centre of Excellence
- To increase awareness regarding Stem Cells and its applications in Mumbai
Health Care Features
- Autism: Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) or Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD) is a neurodevelopmental disorder which appears in the first 3 years of life and affects the brain’s normal development of socialization and communication.
- Muscular Dystrophy: The term Muscular dystrophy(MD) refers to a group of genetic diseases marked by progressive weakness and degeneration of the skeletal or voluntary muscles, which control movement. The muscles of the heart and some other involuntary muscles are also affected in some forms of muscular dystrophy, and a few forms involve other organs as well.
- Cerebal Palsy: Cerebral Palsy is a disorder caused by damage to the brain during pregnancy, delivery or shortly after birth. It is often accompanied by seizures, hearing loss, difficulty speaking, blindness, lack of co-ordination and/or mental retardation. About 25 percent of cases come from a prenatal cause such as anemia, improper nutrition, viruses, x-rays or premature delivery. About 40 percent are caused by lack of oxygen (hypoxia, and the remaining causes are unknown.
- Spinal Cord Injury: A spinal cord injury usually begins with a sudden, traumatic blow to the spine that fractures or dislocates vertebrae. The damage begins at the moment of injury when displaced bone fragments, disc material, or ligaments bruise or tear into spinal cord tissue. In India, approximately fifteen lac people live with spinal cord injury.
- Stroke: Stroke or "brain attack" occurs when a blood vessel carrying oxygen and nutrients to the brain is blocked by a clot or bursts, blood clot blocks an artery (a blood vessel that carries blood from the heart to the body) or a blood vessel (a tube through which the blood moves through the body) breaks, interrupting blood flow to an area of the brain.
- Cerebellar Ataxia: Cerebellar Ataxia refers to a condition of unsteadiness of gait. Causes of ataxia are varied. It includes, among others, alcoholism, multiple sclerosis, brain tumors, thyroid disease and genetic abnormalities. It may also result from a viral infection or chicken pox during childhood.
- Head injury
- Mental retardation
- Injuries of the brain and spine due to infections
- Genetic and degenerative neurological disorders
- Motor Neuron Disease
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Neuromuscular disorders
The NeuroGen Brain and Spine Institute where NRRT protocol is provided is ISO 9001-2008 certified. With the team of committed Neurosurgeons, Health care professionals, Rehabilitation therapists, Research scientists and staff it is constantly thriving on it to give the best health care for people with incurable/intractable neurological disorders.
The NeuroGen medical panel includes:
- A Medical team (Neurosurgeon, Neurophysician, Pediatric Neurologist, Psychiatrist, Urologist, Andrologist, General physician, General Surgeon, Orthopedic surgeon & Ophalmologist),
- A Basic Science team (Neuropathologist, Microbiologist & Geneticist) and A Rehabilitation team (Physiotherapist, Occupational therapist, Speech therapist & Psychologist)
In addition to medical treatment there is a significant emphasis on both clinical as well as basic research so that the best therapeutic strategies can be evolved and practiced at the same time.
It has been observed that patients who have continued a regular, vigorous and intensive rehabilitation program after the therapy have shown better and sustained clinical improvements. Hence, it is advised to follow the International rule of 6 which says “6 hours of rehabilitation activities per day for 6 days a week for 6 months”.
We are happy to communicate with your therapists (telephonically as well as via mail) as to what special therapy you need. We also give you a DVD of all the rehabilitation you have undergone at NeuroGen so that your personal therapist can get a better understanding of your post treatment rehabilitation needs.
Follow-Up visits to NeuroGen need to be made at one, three, six months and one year post stem cell therapy when you will be evaluated to check for the improvements. Some investigations such as EMG/NCV, PET CTScan, MRI etc may
have to be repeated during this follow-up period. For patients who stay outside Mumbai the follow-up dates are suitably modified depending on your ability to travel to Mumbai. All follow-ups are to be done with prior appointments only.
- International Registration Desk
- Operation Theatres
- Stem Cell Laboratory
- Rehabilitation Departments
- Special Consultations
- Visa and Travel Assistance:
- Airport Transport
- Assistance with Hotel Bookings
- Accommodation in a Suite Room
- Nursing Care
- Food and Diet Counseling
- Laptop/Wifi/Simcard Facility