Ozone Therapy in detail
Ozone therapy is an incredible rejuvenator, normalizer, detoxifier, regenerator, immune enhancer and physical and mental energizer. It is usually used as supportive therapy.
Q: What is Ozone?
A: Ozone is three Oxygen atoms in a molecule. Its name is derived from the Greek word ozein meaning “to smell”. At room temperature, Ozone is a colorless gas with a characteristic odor (e.g. after thunderstorms, at high altitudes or near the sea etc). Ozone is an unstable compound and it readily breaks down into Oxygen.
Q: What is Medical Ozone?
A: Medical ozone is always prepared from pure medical oxygen and NEVER from air. Its concentration ranges from 1 to 100 micrograms per milliliter (µg/ml), corresponding to 0.05% and 5% Ozone in the Ozone Oxygen Gas Mixture. Medical Ozone oxygenates as well as oxidizes.
Q: It must be a new therapy, as I have not heard much about it.
A: In fact it is not a new therapy. Ozone is in medical use for over a century. Ozone was discovered in Germany by a chemist Christian Friedrich Schonbein in 1840. It was used extensively to treat war wounds during World Wars. Machines made with special Ozone resistant materials - like Plastic, Silica, Teflon giving exact concentration of Ozone, were invented in 1950s.Ozone is very popular in countries like Germany, Russia, Italy, France, Cuba, etc.
Q: What exactly is ozone therapy? How does Ozone act?
A: Converting medical grade Oxygen (more than 99% pure Oxygen) into Ozone and using it in the treatment of various disease conditions is called Ozone Therapy. Ozone has certain distinctive characteristics which makes it a very powerful treatment tool.
In our body, each cell burns sugar (carbohydrates) with Oxygen to make high energy molecules. The Carbon-Hydrogen bond in the sugar molecule is cleaved, and Oxygen bonds with the Hydrogen, forming water (H2O) and Carbon dioxide (CO2). If there is insufficient Oxygen available, Carbon monoxide (CO) along with excessive lactic acid are formed and the blood is made more acidic. If this Oxygen deprivation (hypoxia) continues for long, the cell will not oxidize the sugar but will be forced to ferment it anaerobically (in absence of Oxygen – which is not a right way for human cells). Lactic acidosis, in turn, makes more cells to ferment. This lack of Oxygen is the root cause of almost all diseases including cancer.
Now, Ozone tackles this problem in following ways:
- Ozone makes the Red blood cells release more Oxygen at tissue level. Thus restoring normal oxidation of sugar molecule and increasing production of energy rich compounds.
- It produces certain changes in the blood and blood vessels that improve blood circulation. It causes dilatation of small blood vessels and can be used to treat many circulatory diseases.
- It stimulates the White blood cells which produce more defense molecules to fight infections and allergies.
- Most disease causing germs are anaerobic life forms (They can not use Oxygen to produce high energy compounds). They lack Anti-Oxidant Defense enzymes. Therefore, they just cannot survive in presence of powerful oxidant like singlet Oxygen, however much they try and mutate!! This property can be used to treat infections.
- Ozone stimulates body’s Anti-Oxidant Defense System. Many chronic oxidative stress diseases like Diabetes Mellitus, Rheumatoid arthritis, hypertension can be controlled by Ozone Therapy.
- Ozone stimulates the body’s healing process. Therefore, Ozone Therapy is useful in treating non healing diabetic ulcers, post operations wounds, varicose ulcers, bed sores, burns, fistula, fissures, cuts and cracks.
- Ozone can be used to treat difficult skin diseases like Herpes, Psoriasis, eczema, stubborn fungal infections of the nail, pimples, warts, etc.
- Cancer cells derive their energy by fermenting sugar without using Oxygen. Cancer cells are deficient in antioxidant enzyme system like other lower life forms and are unable to fight the Ozone onslaught. On the other hand normal, healthy cells can protect themselves from Ozone by their rich Anti-Oxidant Defense System. Ozone Therapy must be offered to ALL cancer patients.
- Ozone prevents cells from fermenting sugars and thus prevents cancer.
- It reduces the side effects associated with chemotherapy and radiation to a very large extent.
- Reduces pain in cancer.
- It gives feeling of well being and rejuvenation. The zest for life is returned.
- It helps in reducing tumor size.
- It helps in controlling troublesome symptoms in certain inoperable cancers. Example, fits in meningioma
- Ozone is an excellent therapy for detoxification. When enough Oxygen starts reaching each and every cell, cells start oxidizing toxins which were built up from life generating processes as well as from pollution, wrong food and sedentary life style! The body actually gets the breath of fresh air and cleans itself from all the toxins.
- Rejuvenation: Increased production of high energy compounds; by proper oxidation of sugar, following Ozone therapy brings the feeling of rejuvenation! Certain chemicals released in brain as a result of Ozone Therapy, can also bring about positive changes in mood and increase in enthusiasm.
Q: Are there any side effects?
A: Not, if given correctly. In my 4 years of experience, I have not come across any major side effects. Ozone must not be inhaled. Accidental inhalation during treatment may lead to minor symptoms like burning of eyes, coughing, nausea or vomiting, or mild headache in very sensitive individual. Giving Vitamin C or lime water will cure most symptoms. Rectal Ozone may rarely give mild discomfort, feeling of passing gas, gurgling, or mild cramps. It is all temporary and passes quickly. Sometime due to detoxification, patient’s condition may seem to worsen but it most certainly improves on continuation of therapy. (This is NOT a side effect.)
Ozone Therapy is Safe. In a 1980 study done by the German Medical Society for Ozone Therapy, 644 therapists were polled regarding their 384,775 patients, comprising a total of 5,579,238 ozone treatments administered. There were only 40 cases of side effects noted out of this number that represents an incredibly low rate of 0.000007%, and only four fatalities. Ozone has thus proven to be the safest medical therapy ever devised.
Q: What are the different ways in which ozone therapy can be administered?
A: Medication in gaseous forms is somewhat unusual, therefore special application techniques have to be developed for the safe use of ozone.
NOTE: In any form of ozone therapy, the breathing in of ozone gas is forbidden.
- Ozone water - e.g. in dental treatments optimally applied as a spray or compress
- Ozone sauna / Ozone bath
- Ozonated oil - for applying on the skin for skin eruptions such as eczemas and conditions involving molds, funguses and lichens etc.
- Bagging the affected part/limb - a closed system using O3 gas fed into special plastic “boots” (for the legs and feet) or bags, foils etc fitting various parts of the body. These are of course made of ozone-resistant materials. The parts of the body treated have previously been moistened with water, as ozone cannot act on dry areas. This method is highly effective in treating ulcers, sores, open wounds, postoperative lesions, shingles (herpes) and infected areas etc.
Non invasive application
- Rectal insufflation - The sensitive intestinal membranes directly absorb Ozone gas. The specially designed disposable tube is lubricated through which Ozone is introduced inside the rectum. A patient can apply it himself/herself. This method is primarily indicated for inflammatory conditions of the intestinal tract, but is finding increasing use for general revitalization processes.
- Vaginal insufflation
- Ear insufflation
- Dental application
- IntramuscularIntravenous infusion of Ozonated Saline
- Major AutoHemoTherapy
- Minor AutoHemoTherapy
- Recirculatory Hemoperfusion
Q: What are the uses of Ozonated water?
A: Ozonated water is prepared by bubbling Ozone through cold water for 10- 15 minutes. It is used for drinking in Peptic Ulcer Diseases, Giardiasis.
And as wet compresses, sponge or water bath is useful in following indications:
Sprains, First & second degree burns, Tooth extraction, Stomatitis, Gingivitis, Decubitus, Herpes Zoster, Proctitis, Candida vaginitis, etc.
Q: Tell me more about Ozonated oil?
A: Ozonated Oil is prepared by bubbling Ozone through oil. Ozonated Oil is viscous oil with characteristic odor & very powerful antimicrobial, anti- inflammatory & wound healing activity. It is stable for 6 months at room temperature & one year in a refrigerator.
Ozonated Oil is simple to apply and is useful in following conditions:
- Nonhealing ulcers & wounds, Diabetic foot, Intractable fistulas, First & second degree burns, Cuts, Scars, etc.
- In skin conditions like Acne, Pyodermas, Tinea versicolar, Candidasis, Athlete’s foot, Genital warts, Herpes simplex, Herpes zoster, Nail mycosis, etc.
Q: Tell me about non-invasive methods of giving Ozone Oxygen Gas Mixture.
A: Non invasive Applications
Insufflation means passing a thin plastic catheter through an opening in the body and giving ozone through it.
- Rectal Insufflation: Used for Proctitis, Colitis
- Plus, in lieu of Intravenous route for a number of systemic disorders – e.g. Chronic Hepatitis B & C, Retinitis pigmentosa, etc.
- Vaginal Insufflation: In Vaginitis, Endometriosis.
- Ear Insufflation: Used for Upper Respiratory Tract Infection.
- Dental Application: Just 20-40 seconds of gentle Ozone gas application kills 99% bacteria making caries sterile & saliva does rest of the job – Healing!
Q: Explain about invasive methods of giving Ozone Oxygen Gas Mixture.
A: Methods of giving Ozone Oxygen Gas Mixture:
- Major Auto HemoTherapy: Blood is drawn from the vein in the hand, mixed with Ozone outside the body in syringe & given back to the same patient.
- Minor AutoHemoTherapy: Smaller quantity of blood is mixed with Ozone & injected intramuscularly.
- Recirculatory Hemoperfusion: Blood is withdrawn from one arm, Ozonated & passed through filters before reinfusing in the other arm in he same patient (in a dialysis like set-up).
Q: What are the contraindications?
A: G6PD deficiency (An enzyme through which Ozone acts), Active bleeding from any site, Pregnancy, Active hyperthyroidism.
Q: What are its clinical uses?
A: Medical ozone is used in three principal fields of indication:
- The treatment of circulatory disorders
• Angina pectoris,
• Cerebro-vascular accidents,
• Smoker’s legs
• In the field of geriatrics- Parkinson’s diseases, Alzheimer’s dementia
- The treatment of diseases produced by infection and inflammation.
• Liver diseases (hepatitis) and herpes
• Open ulcers on the legs
• Burns, scalds and infected wounds, fungus infections and others
• Inflammatory intestinal conditions (Colitis, Proctitis),
• Dental caries
• Prolapsed intervertebral disc
• Osteo arthritis of knee joint
- For immunomodulation
• As an additive or complementary therapy in various types of cancer,
• In chronic degenerative diseases like Diabetes Mellitus, Rheumatoid Arthritis, etc.
• Various allergies, autoimmune diseases, chronic fatigue
• Ozone is applied for general immunoactivation at low dosages.
Q: What are the benefits one can expect with ozone therapy?
A: Benefits of Ozone Therapy
- Rejuvenation, increase in energy levels
- Feeling of well being, improvement in quality of life
- Control of pain
- Less infections and faster cure of infections, sometimes even without antibiotics
- Increase in wound healing,
- In cancer patients, minimum side effects when given with chemotherapy and radiation decrease in the tumor size, less chances of spread of cancer
- Very safe, natural, low cost, complementary therapy.
- Very simple therapy – No scary looking machines or no difficult to understand procedures
- No side effects experienced by the patient as against dreadful side effects of some allopathic drugs.
- Effective for a large variety of illnesses.
Q: What is our experience so far in Ozone Therapy?
A: We have 30 centers all over the country. Our group includes doctors and institutes from various specialties like surgeons, orthopedic surgeons, gynecologists, physicians, GPs, ayurvedic practitioners, homeopaths, chest physicians, etc. We have got good results in osteo arthritis of knee joint, Parkinson’s disease, pimples, diabetic foot, non healing wounds, fistulae, psoriasis, eczema, asthma, stroke, diabetes, diabetic retinopathy, retinitis pigmentosa, etc.
Q: Our personal experience with treating cancer patient with ozone therapy.
A: 4 cases so far.
- One case of inoperable tumor in abdomen. Patient felt better after Ozone Therapy. His Hemoglobin improved and he felt good.
- Inoperable brain tumor called meningioma. On Ozone Therapy, patient could walk without a stick, was less violent, and did not throw fits, in good mood compared to very angry bouts.
- An inoperable liver cancer was still alive after 6 months of diagnosis. He was well and resumed work. His tumor size reduced.
- Inoperable liver cancer with spread in lungs. She had loss of appetite, pain in abdomen, difficulty in breathing, cough and low energy levels. After Ozone Therapy alone, it all cleared.
Q: If it is so useful how come I have never heard about it?
A: Four main reasons:
- Very strong opposition & negative propaganda by very powerful drug lobby.
- Ozone can not be patented as it is natural substance. Therefore no money can be made by its marketing.
- Its raw material Oxygen is very cheap & freely available. No money can be made.
- This simple to use and very cheap therapy can make a lot of well-established, very expensive & highly toxic drugs unnecessary/obsolete.
- Smog component
- Ozone is formed when Oxygen reacts with automobile exhaust in presence of sunlight. Ozone, in turn, reacts with various components of exhaust and forms toxic compounds.
- OZONE IS NOT THE CAUSE BUT THE EFFECT OF SMOG.
- This is nature's way to curb pollution.
- Ozone being easiest to measure is taken as an indicator of smog.
- However it is wrongly interpreted & publicized as - "How can the major component of the smog be good for health?"
- Administration difficulty
- Ozone is tremendously active and seeks to combine with all other substances (except glass, Teflon, Kynar, silicone and gold). Therefore it was very difficult to administer. With invent of PVCs, silicon tubings and new delivery systems, its application is now quite a simple job.
- Technical difficulties:
- Former Ozonators are either UV light ozonators or plasma type ozonators. Here, it was very difficult to know the precise concentration of ozone.
- Now with the present Corona-discharge ozonators, it is possible to know the exact concentration of Ozone. Thus, dose- effect relationship can be studied & ozone dose is standardized for a number of diseases.
- Also, by changing the current or the oxygen flow, Ozone concentration can be precisely modified.
Q: how many sessions are required for Ozone Therapy and how much time does each session take?
A: Minimum of 10 sessions (one cycle) is required for any Ozone application to work. Usually, it must be repeated after 6 months. Depending on the application used, it may take 15 minutes. 45 minutes if saline (Actual time on the bed).
Q: what is the cost of one session?
A: Depending upon doctor, institution and application, the cost varies. It may be 50 Rs to 750 Rs per treatment.
Q: Can you suggest some material for further Information on Ozone Therapy?
- The use of Ozone in Medicine by Renate Viebhan-Haensler, Fourth revised edition
- Flood your body with Oxygen by Ed McCaby
- Ozone Oxygen Therapies by Velio Bocchi
2008-06-01 Articles/Press Releases
Contributed by Lokmanya Medical