Milano, Via Ripamonti, 435 (Building 1)
The IEO - Istituto Europeo di Oncologia (European Institute of Oncology) established in 1994, is one of the world's most prestigious oncological hospitals and the fastest-growing comprehensive cancer center in Europe. In 1996 it became the Istituto di Ricovero e Cura a Carattere Scientifico (Institute for Research, Hospitalization and Health Care).
The IEO is one of the world’s leading hospitals in Breast Cancer treatment and has played a major role in developing innovative techniques adopted as international standards: Immediate Breast Reconstruction, Sentinel Node Biopsy, Radioguided Occult Lesion Localization, Lumpectomy, Intra-Operative Radiotherapy, Nipple Sparing, and One-Day Surgery.
The IEO is a private non-profit Research and University Hospital, focusing on:
The IEO aims to achieve excellence in the field of prevention, diagnosis and treatment of cancer through the development of clinical scientific research and innovation in the organization and management area. IEO offers constant attention to the quality of services it provides to patients from all over the world.
IEO Distinctiveness and Areas of Excellence:
ARC - Advanced Radiotherapy Centre
The IEO Advanced Radiotherapy Centre, is among the top 10 centers in the world for cancer treatment, research and technology.
Breast Cancer Surgery
IEO is continuously researching new surgical techniques to improve the efficiency of breast cancer treatments and to increase the success rates of breast cancer surgery, while preserving the integrity of the woman’s body. IEO is the leading centre for all the important achievements in the field of breast surgery, with the highest number of breast surgeries per year in the world.
The Division of Gynecologic Oncology is internationally recognized as one of the best in EU. Technical excellence is the goal of the Gynecologic Oncology Program. Up to date treatments and access to innovative surgical, chemotherapy and radiotherapy trials is the innovation key of the Gynecology Program. The patient centrality is mainly related to the multidisciplinary approach, thus offering individualized and shared treatment.
Main targets of the Program are developing of a complete way for diagnosis and treatment of thoracic neoplasms, maximizing interactions between clinical and research programs, providing the patients with a personalized clinical care offered by committed staff, implementing research on lung cancer by close cooperations with international scientific societies as IASLC, ESMO, AIOM and AIOT.
IEO uses the Multiparametric MRI of the Prostate, offering high resolution and precision in detecting cellular and vascular lesions during the diagnosis. Every year at the IEO more than 1.500 patients are hospitalized and this number is continuously increasing. The focus of the Urology Program is on the mini-invasive techniques in order to maximize the surgery efficacy and the patient quality of life. The Division of Urology stands out for the robotic surgery of the kidney and the prostate.
Head and Neck Cancer
Head and Neck Division has different areas of excellence related to surgical intervention like the conservative thyroid surgery (hemi-thyroidectomy in early stage thyroid cancers); MIVAT; USDAS; the Endoscopic treatment of parathyroid tumors with USDAS technique; the Transoral Laser Co2 Microsurgery (TLM) for early – intermediate laryngeal cancer; the Transoral Robotic Surgery (TORS) for supraglottic cancers, oropharyngeal cancer, and for parapharyngeal masses; the Compartmental surgery in advanced tongue cancers; the Lymphatic mapping for tongue cancer and the Microsurgery in Head & Neck reconstruction (also in total glossectomy when indicated).
IEO has the JC Accreditation and is one of the few hospital not only in Italy but also in Europe able to offer a complete assistance for the patients who need a transplantation.
Neuroendocrine tumors (NET)
• A dedicated multidisciplinary team exists for more than 15 years. IEO has been one of the pioneers for PRRT (peptide receptor radionuclide therapy) with 90Y-Dotatoc and 177Lu-Dotatate worldwide. Several interventional radiology procedures are available, mainly liver-directed, including:
Our medical oncology actively participates in the main international clinical trials with novel drugs and biological studies are ongoing to identify predictive biomarkers. In January 2015 we will be receive the certification visit for 2015 ENETS (European Neuroendocrine Tumor Society) center of excellence.
Gastro-Intestinal and Hepatobiliary and Pancreatic Tumors
• Gastro-Intestinal Tumors: IEO is internationally renowned not only for its large case volume in the treatment of gastric and colorectal tumors, but also for the excellent clinical outcomes. One of the most important strong point deals with the mini-invasive surgical approach: more than 70% of patients affected by colorectal cancer are treated with mini-invasive procedures. Robotic surgery is usually applied for colorectal pathologies giving benefits to the patients.
• Hepatobiliary and Pancreatic Tumors: IEO represents one of the cancer centre with the highest experience in the hepatobiliary and pancreatic tumors treatment. Thanks to the multidisciplinary approach IEO is able to offer the best treatment solutions tailored on the patient with the aim to obtain the best clinical results. Few institute in Europe are able to use the mini-invasive surgery in the treatment of these pathologies.
• IEO is the most advanced developing Center in using HIFU technology for cancer treatment in the West and has the largest number of HIFU cancer treatments in western countries. HIFU is a cuttingedge, non-invasive technology, developed in China for destroying cancer without scalpels, irradiation or needles. This huge success is the result of the Institute’s investment in the development of Interventional Radiology in Oncology, consistent with its philosophy aimed from the beginning to the development and promotion of new treatments based on the “minimal effective” concept, thus guaranteeing treatment maximum efficacy while protecting the patient’s quality of life.
IEO Check Up
• The IEO Check Up program is unique in Italy. It focuses on prevention and diagnosis of the cancer, being customized by age and sex. Using state-of-the-art technology the IEO Check Up relies on the patient's sex, age and family history, and it includes various clinical care processes, diagnostic procedures and laboratory tests.
What we offer
IEO offers a comprehensive program for the prevention, determining risk factors, early detection, as well as surgical and medical treatment with the latest technology available.
Other clinical service on the patient's request:
IEO has adopted an innovative organizational approach based on Multisciplinary Programs. The programs represent a homogeneous clinical area defined per pathology.
In every Program all the necessary clinical figures are integrated: physicians, clinical scientists, translational scientists, and researchers.
The most important aims of the Programs are:
• Defining the complete clinical paths including prevention, diagnosis, surgical and medical treatments
• Guaranteeing the best medical practices
• Offering the best experimental treatments
The IEO’s Programs are:
Other Areas Clinics
IEO aims to help all its patients have a cancer-free life. For more information about IEO and its innovative cancer treatments and procedures, click the button below!
A 69-year-old woman from Canada, diagnosed with breast cancer, was admitted at Beijing Puhua International Hospital. She marked significant improvement after the comprehensive breast cancer treatment.
65-year-old Danni Chen was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer Stage III (T4N1M0). She underwent HIFU treatment at BPIH in Beijing, China that helped her to live a positive and better life.
Australian woman Thaiylah Joel, diagnosed with pelvic cancer, was admitted at Beijing Puhua International Hospital. She marked significant improvement after the comprehensive pelvic cancer treatment.
Today, Ali had another "clear" MRI! So far, life is good for him. It's been almost a year now and I am still grateful for every day that my son is still with me.
I would also like to thank my doctor, Dr. Javier Vazquez, for the ongoing and inspiring care he has provided me for many years. I also express my gratitude to Drs. Park and Chavarin. And last but certainly not least, I thank Sergio for always meeting me at San Diego Airport at some of the most inconvenient times to take me across the border to International Bio Care Hospital. To Socorro, Carmen, Enedelia, Elias, Juan, Teresa, Rene, Julio, Miguel, Jesus, Victor, Juan, Jorge, Angela, Maria Elena and Lupe, I am eternally grateful to each of you for helping keep me alive and pushing forward in life.