Exclusive Diabetes Program in Frankfurt Germany
Diabetes mellitus, or simply diabetes, is a group of metabolic disease in which a person has high blood sugar levels due to various reasons:
- Insufficient insulin production by the pancreas
- Insufficient response of cells to insulin
- Antibodies against insulin and/or insulin receptors
Types Of Diabetes
Diabetes is classified into several types:
- Type 1 DM, resulting from the body's failure to produce sufficient insulin. It requires the patient to supplement, i.e. inject insulin.
- Type 2 DM, resulting from insulin resistance, a condition in which cells fail to respond to insulin properly.
- Other forms of diabetes mellitus include gestational diabetes of pregnant women,congenital diabetes, which is due to genetic defects of insulin secretion, cystic fibrosisrelated diabetes, steroid diabetes induced by high doses of glucocorticoids, and several forms of monogenic diabetes.
Untreated, diabetes can cause many complications. Acute complications include diabetic ketoacidosis and nonketotic hyperosmolar coma. Serious long-term complications include cardiovascular disease, chronic renal failure, and diabetic retinopathy (retinal damage).
Our Diabetes Program Includes
- Consultation with our specialists
- Laboratory studies: Metabolic parametes (sugar and lipid metabolism, pancreatic and liver function, renal function), immunological parameters (insulin, islet cell and insulin receptor antibodies), endocrinological parameters (insulin, glucagon, cortisol, estrogen, testosterone, somatotropic hormone, LH, FSH, TSH, T3, T4, SHBG, etc.), antibodies and immune function, screening for (occult) infections, etc., stool test (general, elastase, pathologic organisms, etc.), urine test
- Physical exam (general, lung, heart, abdominal organs, vessels, neurologic, etc.)
- Imaging: Abdomen, with focus on pancreas and liver, MRCP to rule out exocrine dysfunction (possible treatment with papillotomy), MR-angiography of the coeliac trunk and mesenteric artery (for planning of re-implantation), brain (micorangiopathy), carotid arteries, coronary arteries (calcium scoring), aorta and pelvic arteries (for impotence work-up), peripheral arteries (peripheral vascular disease), retinal scan (diabetic retinopathy).
- Quantification of body/intra-abdominal fat with spectrally selective MRI.
- Classic treatment options with insulin and oral antidiabetics.
- Body composition modification: special diet, special exercises with training program, hormonal modification (testosterone substitution, STH substitution, DHES supplementation, anti-oestrogens). Gastric balloon insertion (temporary), bariatric surgery (long-trerm).
- Stem cell therapy, i.v., subcutaneous and intra-arterial (pancreatic re-implantation). Stem cell therapy for re-activation of resident pancreatic stem cells and/or immune modulation in cases of (auto)immune causes of diabetes (high antibody titers against insulin, receptors, islet cells).
- Oral desensitization in cases of insulin “allergy”, immune-electrophoresis, immune system modulation/immuno-suppressive treatment