The Achilles tendon is a dense band of tissue that passes behind the ankle joint. It is the thickest and strongest tendon in the body and is about 6 inches long. A rupture of the tendon is a tearing and separation of the tendon fibers so that the tendon can no longer perform its normal function. Most injuries happen with athletic activities, and are caused by tendinitis, in which the tendon becomes swollen and painful. In a severe Achilles tendon injury, too much force on the tendon can cause it to tear partially or rupture completely.
There are two types of surgery to repair a ruptured Achilles tendon. In both types of surgery, the surgeon sews the tendon back together through the incision(s).
- Open surgery - the surgeon makes a single large incision in the back of the leg.
- Percutaneous surgery - the surgeon makes several small incisions rather than one large incision.
Achilles tendon rupture symptoms
- Tenderness, or swelling around the partially injured Achilles tendon
- A palpable defect at the complete rupture
- Sharp pain in the back of the calf
- Inability to bend your foot downward or "push off" the injured leg when you walk
- Inability to stand on your toes on the injured leg
Treating Achilles tendon problems
After making the incision or incisions, the surgeon sews the Achilles tendon back together. There is no consensus on the best surgical techniques for Achilles tendon rupture (open or perutaneous), but some techniques provide a stronger connection. Post surgery, wraps have an advantage over casts. Research suggests postoperative protective weight bearing and the use of protective devices that allow for postoperative mobilization.
Achilles tendon repair clinics in Turkey offer:
- Comprehensive health care services
- Highest quality of Achilles tendon rupture surgery
- Personalized care to meet your needs
- Financial benefits
- Experienced, internationally accredited doctors
- Innovation, research, latest technology
Where you can go for Achilles tendon repair in Turkey:
1. Hisar Intercontinental Hospital, Istanbul, Turkey
2. Cevre Private Hospital, Istanbul, Turkey